As stated by C.P. Snow, in this week's lecture, we learned about the connection between art and science, and how there is a parallel between the two. Immediately, I thought of the bond between the two in relations to sportswear. Nike, one of the most prestigious and popular sportswear brands on the market today, utilizes a balance between art and science in their clothes and equipment. "American multi-national sports apparel and accessories maker Nike has emerged on top of Forbes' 'The World's Most Valuable Sports Brands 2014'. The brand value of Nike in 2014 is estimated to be at $19 billion, up from $17.3 billion last year, according to Forbes" (Sengupta). “Revenues for NIKE, Inc. rose 10 percent to $30.6 billion, up 14 percent on a currency-neutral basis” (NIKE, INC).
Nike makes use of art in their clothing and equipment in order to ensure that they sell the most possible units they can. Entire departments are are dedicated to studying social trends in order to make sure their clothes are up-to-date and fashionable. Their goal is to create a product that everyone wants, and something that is timeless.
Along with being stylish and trendy, Nike must also create a product that can be comfortable and help assist an athlete in performing to the best of his/her ability. Countless hours of research as well as a large amount of money is put in to finding what will work best with the athlete. Athletic shoes, for example, are created to be light, while still providing support for the foot. Overall, the combination of art and science is what makes Nike appealing to a wide range of consumers.
- "Famous Logo Design History: Nike." Logo Design Gallery Inspiration. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.
- "Nike Apparel – Designed For Men and Women!" SportBrandInfo. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.
- "NIKE, INC. Reports Fiscal 2015 Fourth Quarter And Full Year Results." NIKE, Inc. N.p., 25 June 2015. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.
- "Nike Men's Free 4.0 Running Shoes." Dick's Sporting Goods. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.
- Sengupta, Ramarko. "Nike Is World's Most Valuable Sports Brand in Forbes List - NDTV." Nike Is Worlds Most Valuable Sports Brand in Forbes List – NDTV Profit. N.p., 15 Oct. 2014. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.